Looking for a family doctor?
- Visit the Pathways Medical Care Directory to connect with family doctors in your community.
- Visit the Health Connect Registry to connect with family doctors within the Primary Care Network (PCN) in your community.
- Contact HealthLink BC. The 8-1-1 toll-free number (or 7-1-1 for the hearing impaired) puts you in touch with a health service navigator who can provide information about finding a family doctor in your community. Some communities have services to help connect you with doctors accepting new patients. Health service navigators can also provide information about walk-in clinics in your area that may be able to provide ongoing care for you or your family member.
- Ask your family or friends to introduce you to their own family doctor. Sometimes a doctor may take you on referral from an existing patient.
- If you are visiting another health care provider, such as a specialist, ask them if they know of family doctors who are accepting patients.
- If you are visiting a walk-in clinic or Urgent and Primary Care Center, ask the doctor if they would be willing to take you on as a patient.
- Contact your local division of family practice. There are 35 community-based divisions of family practice around the province and many provide a service to help people in their area connect with a family doctor. Find your community's division of family practice and check their homepage for a "find a doctor" service.
Provincial Divisions of Family Practice office
The provincial office has several teams that support divisions of family practice.
The central resource team supports divisions with operational and strategic direction, learning and development, systems support and training, and communications.
Engagement Partners (EPs) are a key contact between divisions, medical staff associations (MSAs), and the Joint Collaborative Committees (JCCs). They support capacity building, operational and strategic direction, learning and development, funding interpretation and supports, knowledge sharing, and issues management. EPs work with the GPSC's Primary Care Transformation Partners and Doctors of BC's team of Regional Advisors and Advocates.
Primary Care Transformation Partners (PCTPs) support primary care transformation initiatives including local primary care network development as well as the regional and provincial initiatives and meetings such as interdivisional strategic tables, regional division leadership meetings, and regional primary care network planning.
Contact the provincial office
(Please note that provincial office staff are not able to connect patients to family doctors)
115 - 1665 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V6J 5A4
Ph: 604 736-5551
Toll free: 1 800 665-2262