Primary Care Networks on the South Island
Across BC, divisions of family practice, health authorities and community partners are working to establish primary care networks (PCNs).
A PCN is a clinical network of local primary care service providers located in a geographical area, with patient medical homes (PMHs) as the foundation. A PCN is enabled by a partnership between divisions of family practice and health authorities.
In a PCN, physicians (via patient medical homes,) other primary care providers, allied health care providers, health authority service providers, and community organizations work together to provide all the primary care services a local population requires. Together, they:
- Enhance patient care using a team-based approach to care.
- Support each other and work to their strengths.
- Further link patients to other parts of the system, including the health authority’s specialized community services programs for vulnerable patient groups (eg. frail elderly, mental health and substance use).
- Collectively increase a community’s capacity to provide greater access to primary care for people without a primary care provider.
Participation in a primary care network enables a patient medical home to operate at its full potential. In a PCN, patients get access to timely, comprehensive and coordinated team-based care, guided by eight core attributes:
- Access and attachment to quality primary care
- Extended hours
- Same day access to urgent care
- Advice and information
- Comprehensive primary care
- Culturally safe care
- Coordinated care
- Clear communication
When participating in a PCN, family physicians can:
- Get what they need for patients quickly and conveniently from an array of services in the community.
- Provide optimal care for patients with the support of teams, allied health care providers, and easily accessed health authority services.
- Access expanded services for vulnerable patients and those with complex health conditions.
In September 2020, the Minister formally announced the launch of the two PCNs within the South Island Division - one in the Western Communities and one on the Saanich Peninsula. If you would like more information about the PCNs or would like to participate, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check each bulletin for the most recent edition(s) of the PCN News.
Supporting Documents for Division Survey
Click here to read the Executive Summaries of the PCN Plans
Click here to view the Saanich Peninsula PCN Plan Overview
Click here to view the Western Communities PCN Plan Overview
Primary Care Announcement from the Premier of BC, dated May 24, 2018.