Wellness & Culture
KB Division’s Physician Wellness & Culture Program aims to support local health care practitioners by creating opportunities that support our wellness as individuals and as a community, and that shift our medical culture in positive ways. We invite you to explore our curated list of offerings.
Professional & Personal Coaches | Peer Support & Clinical Services (CAMP & PHP) | Wellness & Culture Events
Professional & Personal Coaches
Our committee’s curated coaches, check out their bios below!
What is it?:
We have the answers we need - and great coaches create the space to ask the right questions skillfully. Kootenay Boundary’s excellent local qualified coaches can offer help through active listening, withholding judgment, and thoughtful questioning on themes such as:
- Leadership (staff management, team building, staff empowerment, conflict resolution)
- Personal wellness (life goals, sustainability & satisfaction)
- Workflow (practice efficiency, effective care plan processes)
- Professional and personal transitions planning
Each coach offers a different approach to accompany you on your wellness journey. Coaches are expected to refer members to external assistance when a member requires different services.
How to access:
Check out the bios below, and contact coaches directly for more info - including fee, length and/or number of sessions.
Self-paid. KB Division cannot subsidize private coaching.
SUSAN MERZ ANDERSON
DR. AINSLEY MCCASKILL
Current Hospitalist, CoActive Certified Coach, Coach for Seth Godin's altMBA and UBC Family Medicine Program
Professional Integral Coach (PCM) - Integral Coaching Canada - 2020, 2022
Peer Support | UBC Rural CPD’s Coaching & Mentoring Program (CAMP)
UBC Faculty of Medicine’s Division of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and in partnership with the Rural Coordination Centre of BC.
What is it?:
Peer Support is direct physician-to-physician encouragement, feedback, and emotional support with personal or professional issues. Peer support mentors listen and are trained to provide confidential support to their colleagues (and have often gone through the same challenges you may be experiencing!)
CAMP coaches/mentors can provide support in a wide variety of areas including:
- Transitions in practice
- Clinical topics
- Personal wellness and more
Support can take many forms, from an occasional phone call with a coach/mentor to a site visit to shadow a specialist as they perform procedures you don’t see often in your town.
The length of the program is up to 35 hours of peer support over the course of nine months. You can work with one or multiple coaches/mentors. Participants, or coachees, can also earn 35 Mainpro+/MOC Section 1 credits through this incredibly flexible program.
Interested in becoming a CAMP coach/mentor? Coaches/mentors are paid an hourly sessional rate of $158.97 for time spent working with their coachee/mentee(s), up to 35 hours per coachee over 9 months or longer, and for attending an optional 14 hours of Coach/Mentor Skill Development sessions. Coach/Coachee pairs receive $2000 for travel if applicable. Mainpro+ Group Learning and MOC Section 1 credits are also available.
Free, funded by the JSC. All fully or provisionally licensed physicians practising in KB are eligible, as are rural BC locum physicians, or resident physicians in BC who plan to enter rural practice.
Explore more info:
Check out CAMP’s webpage >
DR. TANDI WILKINSON
KB Local Physician CAMP Coach
Peer Support & Clinical Services | The BC Physician Health Program (PHP)
The Physician Health Program (PHP) is governed by members of the Ministry of Health and Doctors of BC.
What is it?:
PHP offers clinical services for physicians, trainees, and family members. Clinical services include:
- A 24/7 confidential helpline (1-800-663-6729) where you can be connected immediately with a licensed Lifeworks clinical counsellor for intake assessments and crisis counselling. This line also acts as an access point to the services described below.
- Short-term counselling (up to 6, 1-hr sessions) from a network of clinical counsellors who are trained and experienced in supporting physicians. The counselling service is provided in partnership with an external vendor, Lifeworks.
- Physician-to-physician peer support to help with personal or professional issues, such as dealing with a complaint, a negative clinical outcome, or workload stress. There is no set number of 1:1 peer support conversations, as it depends on the need and what both parties decide would be most helpful.
- Free virtual drop-in peer support sessions via zoom with PHP Physician Lead Dr. Anne Nguyen, and Registered Clinical Counsellor Roxanne Joyce to share the issues and challenges you are facing. Sessions focus on peer support, not psychiatric care. Participants may join anonymously and/or just listen. The drop in sessions occur every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month from 12-1pm PST.
Register for zoom sessions here >>
How to Access:
Contact PHP's 24/7 helpline at 1-800-663-6729, or email firstname.lastname@example.org - you'll be connected to a clinical coordinator who will lead you to the most appropriate service.
Free. All services, including the virtual peer support group, the 1:1 physician peer support, and the short-term counselling are available at no cost. If the physician would like to continue seeing the counsellor they are matched with, they can self-pay beyond the 6 sessions.
Explore more info:
Check out the Physician Health Program (PHP) website >
KB Wellness & Culture Events
Your KB Division Physician Wellness & Culture Program
KB Division's Physician Wellness & Culture Program brings physicians together through in-person events & virtual activities to support wellness & strengthen culture. Past events have included the Transforming our Work CPD workshop, the Celebrating & Renewing Our Connections dinner event, and a virtual reflective writing workshop, among others.
How to Access:
All KB Division members receive invites straight to their inbox ~ simply stayed tuned for upcoming events.
Free for all KB Division members
The KBDoFP’s Physician Wellness and Culture Program is part of the newly established PHP Physician Wellness Network.
The Physician Wellness & Culture steering committee values your confidential feedback on any of the above services.
Confidential Feedback / Questions / Suggestions: Contact Leila Dale, Physician Wellness & Culture Project Lead, at email@example.com
The information on this webpage is current as at: September 2022.