FOCUS: Implement team-based Palliative Rounds, integrate community hospice organizations into care teams and introduce palliative approach to chronic disease management, including resources, and tools for practitioners and patients.
During the first phase of this project, a series of engagement meetings (October and November 2017) were facilitated in the communities of Nelson, Trail and Castlegar.
Key stakeholders at these engagement meetings identified three problem areas to adopting an interdisciplinary palliative care approach in Kootenay Boundary:
- The lack of integration of palliative care services provided by GPs, SPs, IHA and community Hospice organizations.
- Limited physician palliative care leadership to provide clinical support, professional education, and palliative care advocacy to care communities.
- Limited upstream palliative care. approach for chronic disease management for patients with life-limiting diseases.
Focus areas for phase two of this project include:
- Build a culture of team-based community Palliative Care;
- Support the establishment of a Palliative Care Medical Lead, a local GP with extra training who will be a champion for advancing a Palliative Care approach in KB;
- Host weekly community-based multidisciplinary Palliative Rounds;
- Introduce/deliver a Palliative Approach component to Chronic Disease Management
- Support the work of community hospice organizations to advance the concept of compassionate communities in KB.
Questions? Want to learn more? Please contact Rachel Schmidt, Project Manager