This project endeavoured to provide a gold standard in palliative care through implementing team-based palliative rounds, integrating community hospice organizations into care teams, and introducing a palliative approach to chronic disease management, including resources for practitioners and patients.
- Coordination and provision of care was improved with teams who conducted weekly community-based multidisciplinary Palliative Rounds with care teams in Nelson, Grand Forks, and Trail
- Two Palliative Care Medical Lead positions were established and local GPs received focused training to advance a Palliative Care approach in the region
- Opportunities for capacity building and continuing education for multidisciplinary teams were explored by the following events:
- CME event with Dr. Phillipa Hawley - Dept Head of Palliative Care at UBC
- Regional Palliative Care Roundtable
- Palliative Care Master Class with UBC Division of Palliative Care & Victoria Hospice Society
- Three workshops facilitated by local psychologist Dr. Helen Peel which focused on learning about vicarious trauma and strategies for resilience
- Resources for patients and physicians were developed to support palliative care conversations
- Partnerships with community hospice organizations were explored and developed, helped to advance the concept of ‘compassionate communities’
Resource Quick Links:
Have you, or someone you love, recently been given a life-limiting diagnosis? These Patient Resource and Service guides have been developed by Dr. Lilli Kerby, Dr. Lisa Sawyer, and Dr. Trevor Janz, Palliative Care Physician Leads, with the support of KB Division of Family Practice.
- Patient Resources and Services for Supportive and Palliative Care in Nelson >
- Patient Resources and Services for Supportive and Palliative Care in Trail >
Questions? Want to learn more? Please contact Rachel Schmidt