Looking for a Family Doctor or Nurse Practitioner?
Click the following links to sign up for our Patient Attachment Mechanism (PAM) waitlists!
How does it work?
If you live in the Central Island health region (Port Alberni, Parksville, French Creek, Qualicum Beach, Nanoose Bay, Lighthouse Country, Errington, Lasqueti Island and Arrowsmith Coombs Country), and you do not already have a doctor or nurse practitioner in the area, please visit the links above and answer some basic questions about yourself and where you live.
• If eligible, you will receive an email to confirm that you are on the waitlist.
• We’ll be in touch when we have the capacity to attach you. Please note that there is extremely limited capacity in Central Island, and waiting time is likely to be long. However, those on the list are the most likely to be taken on as patients with new or existing health practitioners.
• This service is only available for those that do not currently have a family doctor or nurse practitioner in the Central Island health region.
• You will also receive info on accessing alternate care while you wait.
• Paper copies of this self-registry are available at the Oceanside Health Centre, and volunteers can assist you to fill them out if needed.
Call 250-937-9629 for information on options available to you while you wait for care, or visit our homepage for options.
If you need medical care and are unattached to a care provider, please consider the following local resources:
|View the list of local walk-in clinics (in Nanaimo).|
|View the list of local walk-in clinics (in Port Alberni).|
|Call 8-1-1, HealthLinkBC to get health information and services from a nurse, dietitian or pharmacist. Available 24/7.|
|Access the Telus Babylon healthcare app online. The service provides free doctor consultations for BC residents covered by the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP). You can check your symptoms on the app 24/7. Hours available for an online consultation are Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Saturday 8am-6pm, and Sunday 8am-4pm. If prescriptions are required, they can be sent to the pharmacy of your choice for pickup.|
|Speak with your pharmacist who may be able to provide an emergency refill of your prescription, including medications for chronic conditions, or advice about over-the-counter medications for minor issues.|
|For non-life threatening illnesses or injuries that need immediate same-day care in the Oceanside area, please contact the Oceanside Health Centre at 489 Alberni Highway, Parksville. Please note that the Urgent Care Centre is not a Walk-in Clinic. Not sure which medical conditions should be appropriately treated at the Oceanside Health Centre? Please have a look at Your Urgent Care Journey.|
|For emergency care in the Port Alberni area, please contact the West Coast General Hospital at (250) 731-1370. Please see their website for a full list of health services offered at West Coast General.|
|Oceanside Mental Health and Substance Use Walk-in Services for Adolescent and Adults . Available M-F 10-00 am – 7:00 pm Oceanside Health Center (see first floor reception)|
|If you are pregnant, please register with Island Health's prenatal registry.|
Sign up online to have your name added to the Patient Attachment waitlist for Central Island residents. Please note that attachment for the Central Island community is very limited at this time. You will be contacted when there is capacity to attach you to a healthcare provider.