Nurse Practitioner, Primary Care Network
Combination of home-based virtual and in-clinic care
Trail, BC (with travel between Trail and Castlegar for team meetings and clinical care)
0.5 FTE part-time contract. This is a PCN Contract (3yrs) starting ASAP
Bring your clinical expertise and passion for providing quality, compassionate care to a challenging and rewarding role as a Nurse Practitioner, Primary Care Network in a new predominantly virtual clinic supporting the Kootenay Boundary region of BC. We are actively recruiting a Nurse Practitioner to our multidisciplinary clinical team.
The clinic, KB Health Online, (kbhealthonline.ca) is part of the Kootenay Boundary Primary Care Network (KB PCN), which is a partnership between the Ministry of Health, Interior Health, the Kootenay Boundary Division of Family Practice, and Aboriginal Partners.
The Nurse Practitioner, Primary Care Network, will practice autonomously and interdependently as part of a cohesive multidisciplinary virtual team where each provider has their own unique role and scope in the provision of patient care. The Nurse Practitioner will work in partnership with a second part-time NP (0.7 FTE) to provide clinical leadership and ensure full coverage to clinic patients. They are supported by a Registered Nurse, Social Worker, Patient Services Coordinator, and Virtual Care Coordinator.
The Nurse Practitioner will deliver the full scope of primary health care services, including but not limited to:
- Health promotion and illness prevention services;
- Primary care for minor or episodic illnesses;
- Chronic disease management;
- Management and coordination of patient care across the spectrum of care (i.e. referral to specialists and other providers, case management, case conferences and acting upon consultative advice);
- Primary reproductive care;
- Primary mental health and substance use (MHSU) services;
- Support for the terminally ill;
- Coordination and access to rehabilitation;
- Multidisciplinary team planning for the ongoing health needs of patients.
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated leader who takes initiative, is comfortable with ambiguity, and has the following skills and experience:
- Current provisional/practicing registration as a Nurse Practitioner with the BC College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP);
- Relevant clinical nursing experience, including clinical knowledge and real passion for providing quality, compassionate care to motivate and inspire others.;
- Passion for virtual health care;
- Interest in and ability to thrive in a leadership role in a blended virtual/in-person setting, including:
- Working collaboratively as part of a high performing, interdisciplinary team to deliver team-based care;
- Leading the development of a new clinic (e.g., supporting the development of efficient clinic systems and processes, a cohesive team, etc.);
- Expectation and ability to:
- Travel regularly within the region (specifically Trail and Castlegar) to provide clinical in-person care approximately 25-30% of the time;
- Provide virtual care remotely from a home office approximately 70-75% of the time;
- Provide in-person care in clinics located in Trail and Castlegar;
- Work approximately one evening and one weekend day per week;
- NOTE: the clinic schedule will be co-developed with the successful candidates and the clinic team;
- Experience working with populations that have difficulty accessing primary care through traditional means, with a strong network of local and community agencies and resources.
Virtual Clinic Description:
KB HEALTH (kbhealthonline.ca) is a new predominantly virtual clinic (launched January 2022) that provides culturally safe, patient-centered, team-based care for patients across the Kootenay Boundary region that are not currently attached to a primary care provider (Family Physician or Nurse Practitioner).
KB HEALTH focuses on providing care to patients without a primary care provider and those with complex health care needs, with a goal of providing temporary continuity of care until the patient can be permanently attached to an existing clinic near their home community.
KB HEALTH is made up of a multidisciplinary team including two part-time Nurse Practitioners (1.2 FTE total), one 1.0 FTE RN, one 1.0 FTE Social Worker, a Virtual Care Coordinator, and a Patient Services Coordinator. They work collaboratively as a self-managed team to develop efficient clinic systems and deliver exceptional care. As a member of the KB PCN, KB HEALTH patients will also have access to PCN regional clinicians including a Clinical Pharmacist, a Registered Dietitian, a Respiratory Therapist, and two Aboriginal Health Coordinators.
Most KB HEALTH services are delivered online, with in-person care also offered in designated communities. The successful candidate can expect a combination of remote work, some work on-site at an office in Castlegar, and the delivery of regular (i.e., bi-weekly or weekly) in-person clinical care at sites in Trail and Castlegar. Some patient services will be delivered on evenings and weekends.