Psychology Resources & Physician Wellness
Resources to promote physician wellness during the Covid-19 pandemic. Resources to address physician burnout coming soon. Link to Powell River's wellness page HERE.
San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training
At the Powell River Division of Family Practice, we strengthen our community inclusiveness by fostering a respectful attitude and partnership, both directly and indirectly, with Indigenous people. We strongly believe in Indigenous advocacy and promoting awareness of cultural diversity within our community. Please find the link HERE to the San'yas Cultural Safety Training Webinar .
Chronic Pain Resources
As part of a Shared Care funded Chronic Pain project, several resources have been developed to support physicians and their patients who suffer from Chronic Pain.
- Local Pain Team Program - A 12 week program that aims to improve patient's functionality by improving their self-management capacity.
- Local Pain Team Referral Form
- Chronic Pain Management Roadmap - A tool that contains many resources to support patients in improving their self-managment capacity.
- Chronic Pain Functionality Scale - A patient friendly scale that focuses on progress in function using cartoons.
- Chronic Pain Functionality Scale Poster only
- Chronic Pain Local Resources - A comprehensive overview of the local and online resources for Chronic Pain Patients in Powell River.
Palliative Care Resources
A collection of resources, videos and conversations to consider starting stemming from our recent project to improve all areas of palliative care in our community.
- Palliative Care Public Campaign Brochure: All Care Support - A patient brochure explaining the importance of the palliative care and goals of care in a non-threatening way.
- Palliative Care Discharge Form and Checklist - A tool to support a smooth transition for palliative patients from Acute to Home.
- Palliative Care Referral Process GP - HCC - An overview of the preferred time and process to refer palliative patients to Home and Community Care
- Palliative Care Standing Home Order - A form to support medication for palliative patients in their end-of-life stage.
Palliative Care Binder - A depository of all locally used palliative care resources and forms.
Advanced Care Planning Resources
- Conversation Starter Kit The Conversation Starter Kit is a booklet designed to help people talk about their wishes for end-of-life care.
- Nidus - Personal planning resource centre and registry
How to Have Good Goals of Care Discussions
On November 7, 2016 Dr. Bernacki provided online video education about the serious illness conversation guide, a simple tool developed by Harvard Medical School to perform a goals of care discussion.
Videos of the education session can be found online here.
Resources from the presentation are below:
- Communication About Serious Illness Care Goals
- Clinician Reference Guide
- Family Communication Guide
- Pre-Visit Letter
- Serious Illness Conversation Guide
We also have a YouTube channel with numerous videos on Palliative Care. These videos cover a variety of topics, but all contain important information to help all those involved in Palliative Care.
Click HERE to be directed to the Powell River Division YouTube channel.
Breast Diagnostics Algorithm
This document is an algorithm flowchart developed for physicians by physicians in our community to help navigate the process surrounding breast diagnostics.
7 Numbers for Seniors
This is a helpful tool for your patients and all residents of Powell River to help keep all of their important numbers in one place. Find a printable version below if you need additional copies for your office.
Using your Emergency Room Wisely
This is a very useful poster to help your patients use the wonderful health care resources in our town most effectively. It lays out different resources and what they should be used for, as well as phone numbers for help lines. Find a printable version for your clinic or office below.
Finding the Right Fit for Your Practice
This booklet is a resource for both the new physician looking to join a practice and the recruiting physician looking to find a new physician to join their practice.
Succession Planning Toolkit
This document is a toolkit for physicians who are planning to transition out of family practice. It is a practical guide that outlines the steps required to hand over your practice to a new physician or close up your practice.
For Everything That's Community Health
Fetch connects Powell River to many of the health care services that are available all around our city and our province! For information and contact information on the services available to you and your patients, come take a look at Fetch HERE!
What is UpToDate?
UpToDate is an award-winning online clinical decision support resource, available to Divisions of Family Practice members for use in individual practices at no cost to the individual physician. Visit your local Division website to become a division member and access more than 10,000 peer-reviewed topics in 21 specialties from international and Canadian authors, as well as drug information, medical calculators, and patient information sheets. All UpToDate topic searches are CME eligible for registered users.
Divisions of Family Practice provincial office is also offering students and residents no-cost access to UpToDate through the Student/Resident site until May 31, 2019.
How to access UpToDate
To access UpToDate, go to www.divisionsbc.ca or to your local division homepage, log in and click on the UpToDate menu item on the top navigation bar. For more detailed instructions, see how to access UpToDate or contact the UpToDate support team for assistance.
Use it on your mobile device
UpToDate Anywhere, an application which allows users to access UpToDate on mobile devices, is also available to those with an iPhone, iPad, Android device, or Windows 8 tablet.
Already purchased UpToDate? How to get reimbursed
Members who have already purchased UpToDate can apply to be reimbursed. Email UpToDate Customer Service or phone 1-800-998-6374 for further information.