With a total population of approximately 84,000, Cowichan encompasses a number of small communities, each with its own distinct character, including: Ladysmith, Chemainus, Crofton, Duncan, Cowichan Lake, Maple Bay, Cowichan Bay, Mill Bay, Shawnigan Lake, and Cobble Hill.
What Sets Cowichan Apart?
- The warmest mean year-round temperature anywhere in Canada!
- Excellent public schools, complemented by private schools of international reputation.
- Year-round recreation: golf, hiking, biking, kayaking, boating, fishing, equestrian sports, and plenty more.
- Intimate performance venues such as Chemainus Theatre and Cowichan Theatres.
- Renowned local food scene, including vineyards and bistros, farm markets, and award-winning fine dining.
- Extensive cultural heritage; unique attractions; and numerous talented local artists.
- Dense forests and lush countryside; pristine coastlines and rich marshlands; all populated by an abundance of wildlife.
- While offering a warm and welcoming small town atmosphere, Cowichan is just a short distance to several main city centres:
- 45 min drive south to the capital city of Victoria
- 40 min drive north to the harbor city of Nanaimo
- 25 min float plane flight to vibrant Vancouver
- 2 hr drive to the spectacular Mt. Washington ski resort
The Medical Community:
- The region includes 85 active GPs, 80 family physicians in 19 clinics.
- Patients are served by the Cowichan District Hospital in Duncan, complemented by two urgent care centres (Chemainus & Ladysmith).
- Cowichan benefits from a collegial and collaborative medical community, and is a leader in community engagement.
- Cowichan has achieved close to 100% EMR uptake community-wide, with approximately 90% of those on a single EMR.
- The community is served by a well-established division of family practice, working collaboratively with community partners and using the collective voice of members to: support physicians to improve their clinical practices and professional satisfaction, identify gaps in patient care in the Cowichan region and develop solutions to meet our community’s needs and common health care goals.
- The Cowichan Division of Family Practice has 98% participation among GPs in the region.
View a short video about the Cowichan community, brought to you by Tourism Cowichan: "Once Upon a Day".
- Cowichan Valley Regional District >
- North Cowichan >
- City of Duncan >
- Town of Ladysmith >
- Town of Lake Cowichan >
- Duncan Chamber of Commerce >
- Economic Development Cowichan >
- Island Health >
- Volunteer Cowichan >
- Cowichan Valley School District >
- Cowichan Performing Arts Centre >
- Cowichan Tourism >
- Cowichan Sportsplex >
- Cowichan Tribes >
- Cowichan Valley Citizen >
Other Helpful Links