Shared Care Chronic Pain
The Elk Valley Chronic Pain project was initiated in February 2019 by local physicians who were experiencing the same challenges as a number of other rural communities in British Columbia regarding chronic pain care.
The main expected outcome of the project was to develop a local patient centered pain management team working closely with primary care providers to increase the capacity of patients with mild to moderate chronic pain to better self-manage their pain.
The main achievement of the Elk Valley Chronic Pain Project is, without a doubt, the creation of the new Living Well with Persistent Pain program.
Project Lead: Charlie Sawatzky
Selected to present at Quality Forum 2021
Chronic Pain Resources:
- Understanding Pain in less than 5 minutes and what to do about it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3phB93rvI&feature=youtu.be&list=PLi1tOF1I5ZoWqXee-bkFpS4srhyDz_W17
- https://www.retrainpain.org/english One minute lessons on hot pain topics: Understanding Pain, Mind & Goals, Sleep and Pain, Medications, Relationships.
- Learn about the science behind pain
- Visit the Live Plan Be self-management portal to get started with a self-assessment and set realistic and meaningful goals: https://www.liveplanbe.ca/manage-my-pain
- Use the Chronic Pain Management Roadmap as a self-management guide to support you on your pain journey: https://www.painbc.ca/sites/default/files/inline-files/PainBC_ChronicPainManagementRoadmap-Interactive-FINAL2019%5B1%5D_0.pdf
- Use a Daily Pain Diary to help your doctor help you : https://www.caremark.com/Imagebank/Health_Diaries/DailyPainDiary.pdf
- Check out the https://www.paintoolkit.org
- Try meditation
- Check out these apps:
- Learn about Box Breathing
- Try mindfullness : https://mrsmindfulness.com
- Learn about movement and exercise
- Learn about substance dependence
You are not alone
- Meet Bob! View this chronic pain patient video by Wendy Brown, created for Powell River Division of Family Practice
- Hear from others with chronic pain
- Connect with others : https://forum.liveplanbe.ca/home
- Learn more and get involved in the creation of a local volunteer Pain Support Group:
- With People in Pain: https://www.pipain.com
- With Pain BC: https://painbc.ca/get-involved/volunteer-pain-support-and-wellness-group-facilitator
- With UVic: https://www.selfmanagementbc.ca/. A program poster and program overview are also available.
Need some help from a coach?
- Call the Pain BC Support Line at 1-844-880-PAIN (7246)
- Contact Coaching for Health https://painbc.ca/about/programs/coaching-health
- Contact Self-Management BC: email@example.com 604-940-1273 or 1-866-902-3767
- Are you feeling low, stressed or anxious? Check out http://bouncebackbc.ca or call 1-866-639-0522
- Visit Pain BC
- Canadian Pain Society: https://www.canadianpainsociety.ca/page/OnlineResources
Education for Health Providers: