Sustainable Childhood Obesity Prevention through Community Engagement (SCOPE BC)
SCOPE BC is an initiative of BC Children’s Hospital that partners with communities to promote healthy weights for children.
SCOPE endorses the evidence-based Live 5-2-1-0 message, and provides the expertise, support and tools local health promoters need to make the healthy choice the easy choice for children.
As the driving force behind the Live 5-2-1-0 campaign, and through a proven multi-sector approach to childhood obesity prevention, SCOPE shares its experience in working with communities to help create change
The Healthy Kimberley project, which emerged from the A GP for Me initiative, first partnered with SCOPE in 2015. Since then, SCOPE has provided funding support, expertise, and an evidence-based message that has been shared throughout the community.
New partnerships with local organizations have emerged and numerous activities have been implemented,including:
- family physicians supporting childhood obesity prevention
- part-time Health Promotion Coordinator
- weekly Open Family Gym Nights
- shared projects with the City of Kimberley, Interior Health (IH), primary care and public health staff at the Kimberley Health Centre, Early Years committees, Wildsight, community gardens, local businesses, schools, and many others.
- implementing health promotion research projects.
EK Division of Family Practice