Work on the North Shore
North Shore family physicians have a lot of flexibility in the way they practice medicine. With a population of 190,000, the North Shore is large enough to have a wide range of health care infrastructure and services, but small enough to be a close-knit community. Over 30 specialties are represented on the North Shore by about 180 practitioners. Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver has 268 beds and seven operating rooms. A team of hospitalists ensures that in-patients are well cared for, but many family physicians still choose to work in the hospital; 64% of our members have hospital privileges and 34% regularly provide in-patient care. Many physicians refer their pregnant patients to the Lions Gate Maternity Clinic, yet 28% still do prenatal obstetrics and 9% do deliveries. Teaching opportunities increased in 2014, when the Coastal Family Practice Residency site was established. The flexible scope of practice is probably one of the reasons that 86% of North Shore family physicians report being satisfied with their professional lives. You can view some highlights from our Community Practice Profile Survey to learn more about our members.
Here are some resources you may find useful:
- Interested in becoming a North Shore family doctor? Looking to recruit a doctor for a North Shore opportunity? Visit PracticeinBC.ca, the one-stop portal for everything you need to know.
- The Vancouver Division has developed a Clinical Dropbox Toolkit, which includes clinical tools, physician information, patient information and referral information for a wide variety of clinical topics. Although a few of the resources are specific to Vancouver, many are relevant for North Shore physicians too. Please note that if you use the Clinical Dropbox Toolkit, you are deemed to have agreed to the user agreement on the Vancouver Division's website.
- The provincial Divisions of Family Practice Recruitment and Retention Toolkit has valuable information for physicians who are new to practice, seeking continuing professional development, seeking practice coverage, or closing their practices.
- The North Shore Division of Family Practice Recruitment and Retention Working Group maintains a list of North Shore locums, and a list of tips for finding and hiring locums.
- Dr. Dean Brown has a wide variety of useful resources on his website.
Photo credit: Lions Gate Hospital Foundation