Alternative Payment Plan (APP) Contracts
The Ministry of Health has announced a new initiative to help recruit family physicians in BC. They have created APP funded positions for family physicians interested in starting patient panels, who haven't already had a permanent practice. Vancouver has been allocated a pre-determined number of positions for full service family practice and we are currently identifying interested clinics and eligible candidates.
The APP positions for Vancouver are limited in number, and will be filled as mutual matches are made. The process will be the same as the current process for recruiting locums and permanent physicians to clinics through the Division. When clinics are looking for help recruiting a physician, they can reach out to our team. We post the opportunity on a variety of different platforms on their behalf, and circulate the opportunity to eligible physicians who might be a good fit. Based on physician preferences, we introduce clinics and physicians to determine if there is a mutual fit to explore. With support, physicians and clinics can together identify if an APP contract is the best way to move forward.
These contracts are one piece of the Primary Care Network development underway in Vancouver. Clinics and physicians interested in the APP contracts must be willing to participate in Primary Care Network development in their local areas as they evolve.
The Ministry of Health has approved Community Health Areas (CHAs) 1 and 6 to start implementing APP contracted physicians. We expect the rest of the Vancouver to be available shortly and we are gathering interest from all communities across the City of Vancouver.
Qualification Criteria for Clinics
- Clinic uses an EMR
- Clinic has more than two physicians at the clinic
- Clinic has physical space to accommodate a physician (2 exam rooms during shifts)
- Must have primarily full-service family practice
- Clinics must be willing to participate in Primary Care Network development in their local areas as they evolve.
Qualification Criteria for Physicians
- Family physician who currently does not have a patient panel
- Agreement to attach patients according to Ministry of Health schedule
- Physicians interested in the APP contracts must be willing to participate in Primary Care Network development in their local areas as they evolve.
If you are interested in your clinic hosting an APP physician contract, or you are a physician looking to start a patient panel under the APP model, please email us.