Nurse Practitioner (NP) Opportunities
The Ministry of Health has announced a new initiative to help improve patient attachment in BC. They have created Nurse Practitioner (NP) funded positions for NPs interested in starting patient panels within Patient Medical Homes (PMH). Vancouver has been allocated a pre-determined number of positions for NPs in practice and we are currently identifying interested clinics.
The NP positions allocated for Vancouver are limited and will be filled as mutual matches are made. The process will be the same as the current process for recruiting physicians to clinics through the Division. When clinics are looking for help recruiting an NP, they can reach out to our team. We will post the opportunity on Health Match BC on their behalf, and circulate the opportunity to NPs who might be a good fit. Based on candidate preferences, we introduce clinics and NPs to determine if there is a fit to explore. With support, NPs and clinics can identify if a clinic-practitioner agreement is the best way to move forward.
These contracts are one piece of the Primary Care Network development underway in Vancouver. Clinics and NPs interested in the contract opportunities must be willing to participate in Primary Care Network development in their local areas as they evolve.
The Ministry of Health has approved Community Health Areas (CHAs) 1 - 6 to start implementing NP contracted providers. Currently, CHA-1 and CHA-3 are full for NP positions but we are actively recruiting for CHA-2, 4, 5, and 6.
These criteria were put in place to identify clinics that will be a supportive environment for NPs to start a practice, with the goal of long-term attachment.
Qualification Criteria for Clinics
- More than two physicians at the clinic
- Physical space to accommodate an NP
- Full service family practice
- Buy-in from other physicians at the clinic
- Practice must be willing to work toward the attributes of the Patient Medical home
- Practice must be willing to join the PCN once it is established
- Practice must commit to involvement in Vancouver Division's PMH and PCN development
- No one clinic or clinic owner in a CHA can receive more than 40% of allocated NPs for the region *any clinic granted more than one NP will be reviewed and confirmed eligible on a case by case basis
- To remain eligible for additional NPs, the clinic must maintain a 1:1 FTE FP/NP ratio
Qualification Criteria for Nurse Practitioners
- NPs who currently do not have a patient panel
- NPs interested in providing primary care to a patient panel
- Commitment to attaching patients according to MoH schedule (details in ‘NP Backgrounder and FAQ’ document)
- NP must be willing to work toward the attributes of the Patient Medical home
- NP must be willing to join the PCN once it is established
- NP must commit to involvement in Vancouver Division's PMH and PCN development
If you are interested in integrating a Nurse Practitioner into your clinic, or you are a Nurse Practitioner looking to start a patient panel under this model, please email us.