With the launch of Pathways in Richmond in 2016, Division members and their office staff have access to specialist and specialty clinic services, contact information and wait times by utilizing this comprehensive web-based resource. Pathways is quickly rolling out across the entire province.
What is Pathways?
Pathways is a ‘made in BC’ resource that allows GPs and their office staff to quickly access current and accurate referral information, including wait times and areas of expertise, for specialists and specialty clinics. Currently, Pathways has information on over 3,500 specialists and 850 clinics. In addition, Pathways makes available hundreds of patient and physician resources that are categorized and searchable.
The Key Goals of Pathways Include:
- Allowing GPs to identify the most appropriate specialist with the shortest wait time.
- Simplifying the patient referral process by easily identifying specific areas of practice offered by each specialist and clinic.
- Providing GPs with the most up-to-date information possible to ensure the appropriateness of referrals.
- Decreasing the incidence of re-referrals, thereby increasing the efficiency of patient care.
Click here for an introductory tour of Pathways.
How to Access Pathways?
You can access Pathways at www.pathwaysbc.ca
Access is limited to GPs who are members of a Division of Family Practice, their medical office staff, and to specialists and authorized health care providers practicing within those respective Divisions.
Please contact Ailin Chen, Pathways Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or assistance on how to get started. Ongoing support and/or coaching can also be provided, either by a physician colleague or Administrator. Just ask, we’re here to help!
More Information about Pathways:
- 97% of users report that Pathways has improved the referral process.
- Read more in the Pathways Evaluation Summary here.