Patient Medical Homes (PMH) and Primary Care Networks (PCN)
Divisions around the province are working toward creating an integrated system of care, in order to provide quality, timely care for patients and their families that is effectively linked and supported across the system.
As part of this strategy, the General Practice Services Committee (GPSC) is working with divisions of family practice to support physician offices around the province to transition to towards the patient medical home (PMH) and primary care network (PCN) models. Under these models physician practices will be seamlessly linked to teams of health professionals, networks, and better-coordinated specialty services in the community.
The goal of this work is to:
- Better meet the needs of patients now and into the future, ensuring they have timely access and attachment to continuous, coordinated primary and community care across practitioners and locations.
- Better manage the impacts of a changing workforce – including retiring GPs and work practices of new GPs – so we can continue to deliver care effectively and keep up with patient demand for access.
- Better build a sustainable, cost-effective primary and community care system.
With the support of teams and networks of other health professionals, and with strong links to the community:
- Family physicians know their patients are getting the right care, in the right place at the right time.
- Not all responsibility for patient support is on one physician’s shoulders.
- Pressures are eased, so doctors can achieve better work-life balance and look out for their own wellness too.
- Divisions and doctors can create healthy and vibrant work environments that will also attract new doctors.
Visit the GPSC website to learn more about the patient medical homes and primary care networks.
Related News and Notes articles
Primary care change is underway in many BC communities. We know that change in our health care system takes time and… Read more
The GPSC's new Patient Experience Tool enables family doctors and practice teams to hear from their patients about… Read more
Residents of Gabriola Island banded together to build a leading-edge community health facility through volunteer… Read more
The Maple Ridge Youth Wellness Centre will soon be able to expand its range of services following support from the… Read more
As doctors around the province move toward evolving their practices into Patient Medical Homes (PMH), many divisions… Read more
Life on Gabriola Island can be idyllic, providing residents with a tight-knit sense of community and a feeling of… Read more
A panel of new grads and residents at the recent GPSC Spring Summit was asked about their hopes, aspirations, and… Read more
Family doctors in communities around BC are working with nurses to provide patient care in both family practice and… Read more
Surrey-North Delta division and Fraser Health partnership
When Adrianne Haynes became a caregiver for her husband… Read more
Ridge Meadows Division of Family Practice, Fraser Health, and community agency partnerships
Nineteen family doctors in… Read more