There are two main kinds of media relations:
- Proactive -- The division approaches the media to pitch a story idea.
- These are usually good news stories.
- You have control over when the idea is pitched, but not whether a story will run or what it will say.
- Reactive -- Media contact a division for comment on a topic they are writing a story about.
- This may be for an expert viewpoint on a medical-related story or on another more contentious issue.
- The division may not expect the media call and will have less time to prepare messaging than with proactive stories.
- If doing the interview doesn't meet your objectives you do not need to say yes.